Saturday, March 29, 2014

All About Contour Part 2!

OMG! I don't believe this! I didn't publish this article!!!! NOOOOOOO!
So here we go... late but better than never..I think.

The latter half of contour video is up!

When I was making this video, I had hard time making it short and straight to the point.
I know that I tend to ramble so I always keep in mind "Get down to the point, Yui!" when I'm filming, but even then, when I'm editing the video, I go like "Ah, that part is unnecessary." and cut that part out.
So I am not very good at making it really short yet.
You might not like how I edited this video, because I cut a lot of the parts out and it seems unnatural, but I don't think you would like me rambling and taking your precious time, so I decided to keep it that way.
Which one do you prefer though? I am very interested in what you think. If you have opinions on how a beauty vlogger should edit her/his videos, please share in the comment section of this blog. <3

Now moving on to today's topic; contour.
I thought it was easier if I put the face charts too, as we are talking about where we need to put the contouring powder, here we go.


I think the contour is a very powerful thing that makes a big difference on your face.


Left image is just a plain bare face and the right image is what it looks like when I do full contour.

These are just 2D images but they look very different.
Can you imagine what it can do to your 3D face?!








Now, let's watch what brushes I use and where exactly I would contour for different face shapes.




For round faces:

Contour for Round face.



The ideal face shape that we want to achieve is a diamond shape, so I would contour having that in mind.
Contour well the sides of the forehead, face and jaw.

As I mentioned in the video, please keep your highest point of your forehead and chin as you want to keep the height.











Next is long face:

Contour for long face.



I would like to shorten the long face by contouring forehead.
Focus more on forehead, rather than chin, as explained in the video.
This image looks like I have contour on the chin and the jaw line but contour the underside of the chin and jaw.











The last is square face:

Contour for square face.


A square face has a strong jaw line, so the point where you put the brush first (aka the darkest part) would be the corner of the jaw.
From there, blend it in all the other direction (up, down, sides).

If you have a square top of your face, contour the temple well, like for the round face and pull back your corners of your face.
Contour in the hair as well as the hair line.









Lastly I would like to share this very important tip:
Do not forget to contour 4 places I mentioned in the video.
Also when I say "contour well", it is NOT simply to put a lot of the contour products. It means to contour

  • Carefully and thoroughly
  • Keeping it looking natural
  • Still, you should have the benefit/effect of the contour.
It takes time and practice to achieve this, so practice a lot to see and feel what looks right for your face shape!

Sometimes, Less is more with makeup.
But it does not mean that you should cut the corners.


Truly beautiful makeup takes a lot of time and effort, even if it looks like there is not much makeup on the face.
I think Rae Morris agrees with me on this one. :)

Good luck and have a nice weekend! <3

Yui

No comments:

Post a Comment