Monday, September 17, 2012

Rimmel Scandal Eyes Show Off Mascara first impression and review

~EDITED~
This product appears in Sep & Oct Favorite video, 2012. I have a small review on this so check the video if you are interested!


Rimmel Scandal Eyes Show Off mascara


I found this new-looking mascara selling all over the place.
The brush on the package cardboard looks interesting. It reminded me of Benefit's They're Real mascara because it had a spiky ball at the end of the brush.

I do not own the Benefit mascara but the idea is that you get the spiky end on the brush so you can really use your mascara vertically.
I know it does not look like Benefit's mascara but the idea is kinda similar. So I decided to give it a go. Plus I needed a new mascara.

So the point of being able to use your mascara vertically is quite practical.
Holding your mascara wand vertically lets you get more product on hard-to-reach or teeny-tiny eyelashes. I use this technique on my lower lashes and once you get the hang of it, it is much easier to hold the brush horizontally.
This is  the technique that makeup artists use, so you can give it a try if you want to put some mascara on lower lashes or give extra volume on each eyelash.

For this reason, I thought having a spiky ball at the end, as well as the normal brush would be great.
(Loreal and Givenchy have "ball brush" mascara but I don't honestly see it nice and practical because it would take a lot of time to coat all the lashes.)


So here is the look of the brush.


Looks interesting...
This promises to lengthen, volumize and curl your eyelashes, according to the package.
Ooo, it sounds like what I need, although my eyelashes are naturally curled.
But they definitely need lengthening and volumizing!!

Now I tried applying the mascara to my eyelashes and I noticed something...

What is this?!

I found some hairs in my mascara bottle!!!! Just kidding but I seriously thought so when I found this around the tip of my wand.
Apparently this mascara has some fibers in there, which really looks like someone else's eyelashes. I freaked out for a second from this.
It says in the corner of the package that this mascara is fiber enriched.
Okay, it looks creepy but it is fiber enriched....

So this is my bare eyelashes... Looks like I have no eyelashes... :(

My naked eyelashes.

Eye closed.

Picture taken from above.
This is my eyelashes with this mascara (one coat).

Definitely Volumizing.

It looks a bit bushy.

From above.
I notice an instant volume and lengthening. It feels like Maybelline's Colossal mascara. I loved that mascara by the way. Even though it feels a bit too dry formula, it is not too bad.

So I tried a second coat.

It is a bit hard but I noticed the difference in volume in person.
It is a bit dry so it got clumpy, only a little though.

From above.

I would say that the formula is on dry side because after the second application, it was flaking a bit. I was not impressed that it happened on the initial application. I would expect this to happen around a while after I start using mascara.

I don't think that the ball-brush was extra easy to apply mascara on bottom lashes.
It was kinda gimmicky.
The brush was not catching the mascara liquid as much as I would want it to.
So it failed to put some mascara on some of my very small lashes.

Honestly, I think I should stick to the normal (squirrel tail) brush mascara, maybe except for Covergirl Lash Blast.
It is a bit sad that this was my first Rimmel mascara and I did not have much good impression. 
I mean, after all, it is not a baaad mascara, but it just did not impress me.

Volume: 8/10
Length: 6/10
Curl: 5/10 (I can't tell because my lashes are naturally bit curled)
Texture: 4/10
Brush: 4/10
Over all: 6/10

Hope this helped! YouTube video review will be up sometime soon!

Have a good Monday night!

Yui



No comments:

Post a Comment